Assistant Commissioner for Outreach and Engagement
The Alabama Department of Veterans Affairsequal opportunity employer, announces a recruitment to fill the position of Assistant Commissioner for Outreach and Engagement at Headquarters, 100 North Union Street, Suite 850, Montgomery, Alabama.
A Deputy Commissioner of the Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs who reports directly to the Commissioner of State Services for all actions related to outreach and engagement activities. Key responsibilities and duties include supervising 3 direct reports; Advise/lead on all public affairs and social media matters; Management of Veterans Wellness Program initiatives; Collaborate with other federal, state, and local agencies regarding veteran outreach and support initiatives; Maintain federal, state and local intergovernmental relations; Perform other activities as directed by the Commissioner.
Mandatory eligibility conditions:
- Must be an honorably discharged veteran with a minimum of 60 days of active duty military service (other than for training).
- Extensive public affairs experience in community relations and outreach initiatives in multiple government, community and faith-based organizations.
- Extensive public affairs experience in traditional news media and social media management.
- Extensive experience in managing internal communication tools such as annual reports, newsletters/newspapers, informational video clips and other means of communicating effectively with internal audiences.
- Extensive experience in planning external events.
- Experience in past leadership roles involving direct management and supervision of staff.
- Experience presenting community outreach programs and initiatives to diverse audiences and building public-private partnerships to achieve organizational goals.
- Good driving record (last five years).
- Graduate degree (or equivalent): MBA, management, communications or public administration is highly desirable.
- A retired military field officer/senior non-commissioned officer is highly desirable
- Demonstrable experience or familiarity with Alabama state government is highly desirable.
Anyone meeting the mandatory eligibility criteria and interested in applying for this position may do so by submitting their resume and DD-214 verifying active duty military service required. no later than September 26, 2022.