China attacks Indo-US military exercise in October, says it violates bilateral agreements | world news

BEIJINGChina on Thursday strongly opposed planned war games between India and the United States near the disputed China-India border in October, saying it is interference in the border issue bilateral relations and a violation of agreements between New Delhi and Beijing according to which no military exercises will be held near the Line of Actual Control (LAC), the de facto border between the two countries.

“We firmly oppose any third party interfering in the China-India border issue in any form,” Senior Colonel Tan Kefei, spokesman for the Chinese Defense Ministry, said Thursday when was asked to comment on the exercise at the ministry’s monthly press conference. .

Although the exercise has not yet been officially confirmed, several Indian and international media reported that soldiers from the two countries will take part in a joint military exercise in Auli in Uttarakhand in October, about 100 km from the LAC.

It will be the 18th edition of the “Yudh Abhyas” (war training) exercise, an Indo-American bilateral exercise, and will take place at an altitude of more than 10,000 feet.

The exercise will take place against the backdrop of ongoing border frictions between India and China in eastern Ladakh, with both sides having deployed thousands of troops and heavy weapons along the LAC.

The Chinese Defense Ministry’s strong backlash against the drill comes days after Foreign Minister S Jaishankar blamed China for the border tension and sharp deterioration in relations.

Spokesman Tan, according to the English transcript of the press conference released by the Ministry of Defense, said that China has “…always stressed that military cooperation of relevant countries, especially on exercises and training activities, should not be aimed at a third party, but rather contribute to the maintenance of regional peace and stability”.

The China-India border issue is a matter between the two countries, Tan said.

“Both sides have maintained effective communications at all levels and have agreed to properly handle the situation through bilateral dialogues,” he said.

Tan then cited two agreements signed by India and China in 1993 and 1996, saying the exercise violates both.

“In light of the relevant agreements signed by China and India in 1993 and 1996, neither side is allowed to conduct military exercises against the other in areas close to LAC, said Tan.

Tan was referring to the “1993 Agreement on Maintaining Peace and Tranquility along the LAC on the Sino-Indian Border” and the “1996 Agreement on Confidence-Building Measures in the Military Field on along the LAC to the Sino-Indian border”.

Tan, however, glossed over New Delhi’s consistent view that in 2020 it was Beijing that sparked the standoff through its unilateral actions to amend the LAC and by mustering troops along the border of facto – and violating both agreements.

Tan insisted that India honor its commitment.

“It is hoped that the Indian side will strictly abide by the important consensus reached by the leaders of the two countries and relevant agreements, maintain its commitment to resolving border issues through bilateral channels, and uphold peace and tranquility in the border area. with practical means. Actions.”


  • ABOUT THE AUTHOR

    Sutirtho Patranobis has been in Beijing since 2012, as China correspondent for the Hindustan Times. He was previously stationed in Colombo, Sri Lanka, where he covered the final phase of the civil war and its aftermath. Patranobis covered several times including health and national politics in Delhi before being posted overseas.
    …See the details

Comments are closed.