Eighth Annual Women Veterans Appreciation Week held in Jacksonville
Events to honor the women who have fought and served in the United States Armed Forces will take place across the city of Jacksonville next week, presented by the city’s Department of Military and Veterans Affairs and Women Veterans of the Northeast. from Florida.
The eighth annual Veteran Women Recognition Week kicks off this Saturday and continues until next Saturday.
“Women Veterans have played a vital role in protecting this country alongside their male counterparts, making immeasurable contributions to our nation,” said Mayor Lenny Curry. “I encourage all citizens to recognize the courage, honor and dignity with which women have served and continue to serve in Jacksonville.”
The Northeast Florida Veteran Women’s Association helps women who have served in active duty, the National Guard or the Reserves transition to civilian life and become self-sufficient. This includes support and career services for female veterans, as well as advocacy and community awareness of their challenges and achievements at local, state and national levels.
CEO Dee Quaranta began the celebration in 2013 to pay tribute to the achievements of women in the military, especially those who broke new ground during World War II and the Korean War. This week’s events also raise awareness in the community about some of the challenges women veterans face after their military service, the association said.
After: “Honor to Serve”: 4 from Jacksonville Area Join Florida Veterans Hall of Fame
After:Jacksonville Nonprofit Launches ‘Healing Space’ for Homeless Veteran Women and Their Children
After: Agencies see urgent need for homeless veterinarians; paperwork slows down the process
After: Civilian life offers many challenges to female veterans of Duval; published survey results
Women Veterans Appreciation Week
• Saturday – Family Retro Fun Day, 8 am to noon, Jacksonville Arboretum & Gardens, 1445 Millcoe Road.
• Sunday – Self Care Sunday with a “Women of the Wall” video on the association’s Facebook Live.
• Monday – Opening Ceremony and Proclamation, 10 a.m., Town Hall, 117 W. Duval St.
• Monday to Friday – Exhibition of works of art by veteran women at Town Hall.
• Tuesday – Breaking the Ceilings Luncheon hosted by Women in Defense, 11:30 am to 1 pm, Ramada Conference Center, 3130 Hartley Road.
• Wednesday – Women, Wealth and Wine, 6 p.m., ext. 9, 6242 Old Soutel Court.
• Thursday – Mental Health Lecture, 9 am to noon, Northeast Women Veterans Inc., 103 Century 21 Drive, to educate the community on mental health, current issues and concerns from the past year, as well as updates from Veterans Affairs.
• Friday – Paint ‘N Sip’ N Fun, 7 to 9 p.m., Legacy Ale Works, 14965 Old St. Augustine Road.
• Saturday, June 12 – Veteran Women Recognition Gala, 6 p.m., Southbank Hotel in Jacksonville Riverwalk, 1515 Prudential Drive. The guest speaker is Paula Coughlin. Tickets cost $ 110 per person at forwomenvets.org/event-overview.
Visit forwomenvets.org for more information.
[email protected], (904) 359-4549