Free Career Fair for Veterans Coming to Long Beach – NBC Los Angeles
A job fair is scheduled for Thursday to help transitioning military members, veterans, military spouses and dependents find jobs.
The free job fair will take place at the Long Beach Convention and Entertainment Center from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
The fair is organized by American Veterans with Disabilities and RecruitMilitary, which aims to provide service members and veterans with employment opportunities and to assist in the transition to the civilian lifestyle.
RecruitMilitary hosted 33 events in the LA area and attracted over 7,000 attendees and over 1,200 exhibitors.
Among the companies featured at the job fair are PepsiCo, Walgreens, the US Secret Service, FedEx Express and Tesla.
There will also be a number of different police departments with multiple job listings available.
In preparation for the fair, some tips to remember are to write your 30-second elevator pitch and be prepared. It’s also important to review your resume and check for any spelling or grammatical errors before uploading it to a job posting.
As this will be a paper-saving event, instead of bringing copies of your paper CV, RecruitMilitary offers a service that uses a QR code that links directly to their job site.
RecruitMilitary offers a list of helpful tips to ensure you make the most of this opportunity:
- Be ready : Charge your phone and practice your elevator pitch.
- Keep an open mind: You never know which company has the perfect job for you.
- Work the piece: Stop by each booth and share your QR code with each organization.
- Rule of 3: Get at least three company follow-ups.
- Apply as a network: Apply for open positions while you network with recruiters.
- Smile: Be confident. You have this!