IRS stimulus check direct deposit issues could be resolved with some checks arriving in the mail
Dozens of people called ABC7’s I-Team, claiming their checks had been sent to the wrong banks. Now it looks like a solution is in the mail.
When Latissha Macon checked the payment status of her stimulus check on the IRS website two weeks ago, the alert indicated that it had been deposited to another bank account.
“I tried calling the IRS and none of the numbers on the website. I couldn’t reach any of the numbers,” she said.
Macon’s tax preparer told him that the Treasury Department and IRS accidentally sent Macon’s money to his tax preparer’s bank. The bank then returned Macon’s money to the IRS.
Macon’s tax preparer told the I-Team the same has happened to at least 300 of his clients. It has also happened to the more than 300 clients of tax accountant Connell Jones.
“I had to explain to them that this was not my personal account, it was a third party account, and based on their bank request, it will be referred to the IRS and sent back to them,” Jones said.
Jones said the confusion occurred with clients who did not prepay their tax preparation, so their stimulus money went to a third-party bank that provided the advance on the payment for tax preparation. It also happened if people took a cash advance on their tax return.
“And I was up all night last night, checking everyone’s statuses, and everyone’s statuses now, about 95% of people are now up to date. So now they can expect to receive a check by mail, ”Jones said.
He said the account status message his clients receive on the IRS website says the checks were mailed.
Macon, who uses another tax preparer, said she also received this message.
“Now it looks like the Internal Revenue Service has solved the problem, they received the files from the third-party bank and they redirected the money to the customers via a paper check,” Jones said.
The IRS said about 88 million people had successfully received stimulus funds deposited directly into accounts. If you do not use electronic filing on your tax return, a paper check will be mailed to you.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos on the new coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES AND VIDEOS:
- Live updates on the coronavirus outbreak in the United States and around the world
- Coronavirus Data: See How The Curve Of COVID-19 Cases Bends In Every Bay Area County
- Everything You Need To Know About Ordering Bay Area Shelters In Place
- Coronavirus Doctor’s Note: Dr Alok Patel Provides Insight into COVID-19 Pandemic
- Stimulus Calculator: How Much Money Should You Expect from the Coronavirus Relief Bill
- WATCH: ABC7 Interactive Town Hall “Race and Coronavirus: A Conversation in the Bay Area”
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments and eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here’s how shelters in place and stay-at-home orders can slow the spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus timeline: Tracking key moments in the COVID-19 pandemic in the San Francisco Bay Area /
- Coronavirus and the New Normal of Life in the San Francisco Bay Area – COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while distancing themselves during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus outbreak: here’s why you should practice ‘social distancing’
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7’s ride around San Francisco shows empty streets, closed businesses
- Symptoms, prevention and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the United States
- List of stores and businesses closing due to the coronavirus pandemic
- Late fees waived, free services available during COVID-19 crisis
- Here’s how you can help during the COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks, but here are over 100 products that can help protect you from new coronavirus germs
- Here’s a look at some of the worst pandemics in history that killed millions of people.
- Asian community fights racism, xenophobia and bigotry as world fights COVID-19
Copyright © 2021 WLS-TV. All rights reserved.