Officer charges motorcyclist, wiped, arrested


The Warwick Police Department is located at 99 Veterans Memorial Drive.
The Warwick Police Department is located at 99 Veterans Memorial Drive.

WARWICK, RI – A motorcyclist fled a traffic stop on Airport Road on April 15 at 9:30 a.m., charging an officer rather than stopping before leading a pursuit, sometimes against oncoming traffic, on Post Road ahead to wipe down in front of the Grid Iron Bar.

Nicholas DiNardo’s office was at the intersection of Unity Court and Airport Road that morning when he spotted the motorcyclist, riding a black 2017 Hyosung, going around 80 mph as he headed east on Airport Road, turning on a red light at the Hade Court intersection and almost hitting a van, according to the officer’s report.

DiNardo pulled into the inner west lane of the road to warn drivers of the reckless motorcyclist and got out, ordering the motorcyclist to stop. Instead, the pilot accelerated to high speed directly at the officer, DiNardo said in his report. DiNardo jumped out of the way and reached out his hands to create extra distance between himself and the horseman, briefly connecting his left hand to the man’s backpack as he walked past the officer.

The pilot continued west on Airport Road and DiNardo got back into his cruiser to continue, following as the pilot traveled down Post Road, entering oncoming traffic at about 60 mph. The rider struck a curb in front of Grid Iron, 1599 Post Road, and fell onto the curb, separating from his motorcycle on Massachusetts Avenue. The bike continued without him, curling past Elite Auto at 1587 Post Road.

DiNardo parked his cruiser in the south lanes of Post Road and ran towards the horseman, who was standing with his hands in the air. The officer ordered the motorcyclist to take to the street to be handcuffed, but the man complained of an injured arm and hand, so the officer kept him on the ground until the arrival of other agents. When they did, DiNardo called a rescue for the rider, whom he identified as William A. Simas, 21, of 2788 Plainfield Ave., Cranston, DiNardo reported.

A rescue team arrived and transported Simas to Rhode Island Hospital for treatment for his injuries, including his arm and hand and a rash. Officers accompanied him to the hospital and waited for him to be returned to detention after treatment, the report said.

Once at Warwick Police Headquarters, 99 Veterans Memorial Drive, DiNardo charged Simas with assault with a dangerous weapon, reckless driving / evading police and operating without first obtaining a license. DiNardo also cited Simas with speeding, forbidden U-turn, failure to follow traffic lights, overtaking on the left, interval between vehicles and failure to use turn signals.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.